Wednesday, June 21, 2017

MARRIAGE


There isn't a perfect marriage. In fact, marriage is composed of two imperfect individuals who have continuously chosen to stay together even when there are a lot of struggles along the way.

LESSONS THAT I'VE LEARNED

Marriage is about selflessly loving the person that you have vowed to be with, for the rest of eternity.

It is about choosing LOVE over PRIDE and yes, it is easily said than done but it will all be worth it.

"PRIDE destroys while LOVE builds."

Communication is of utmost importance. More often than not, it prevents miscommunication and misunderstanding. I wasn't used to speaking my mind but I eventually learned to. Our marriage has made me more open than I was. 

For those partners who struggle voicing out their thoughts, feelings and ideas, remember that our spouses aren't mind-readers. Speak up! 

"Mean what you say and say what you mean." That is why I suggest to try holding your tongue when you are angry. Most of the time, we say hurtful words, even to those we love, when we are mad. 

There would be a lot of storms along the way but let us all stay strong.

Arguments would always be inevitable but know that these do not sum up the totality of your marriage. 

Learn to listen. Whenever you argue, try not to nag. It would be a lot easier to talk and settle the differences without screaming nor shouting.

Compromise. This does not mean that you are choosing to be a doormat. Rather, it is adjusting your preferences in order to meet your spouse's as well. Marriage should be a give-and-take relationship. 

Lastly, remember not to forget to love yourself. We can't give what we don't have. As how Jim puts it, we marry not to be whole but instead to come in union. 

MESSAGE

Jim, allow me to thank you for staying through good times and bad. For not giving up even when we encounter different challenges. Thank you for making me feel that you and I are one. I hope your love towards me won't ever change. Please know that I will always be with you--- no matter what. In you, I found a soulmate and a best friend. 




6 comments:

  1. Nice post. I'm divorced though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, thank you for commenting. Still, I believe that marriage isn't just the only source of love. :)

      Delete
  2. Great insight! I'm happily single, but some of this also applies to other types of relationships. Working on any relationship is harder than turning your back. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheryl! Thank you so much for spending your valuable time, reading my blog. I agree with you that this isn't only applicable to married life but some could also be used in any type of relationship. Have a great day, Sheryl.

      Delete
  3. It is about choosing LOVE over PRIDE, I love this statement because it is so true. Pride is selfish and self promoting. If you learn to put your spouse needs above yours and the feeling is mutual your relationship will be much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Donna. It takes time to master the art of compromising but indeed love knows no boundaries.

      Delete