Wednesday, May 31, 2017

TODAY'S TAKEAWAY




Jim has a great love for preparing dishes. I entirely have measured its depth now. He wanted things perfect or close to perfection when cooking or baking. He pours himself into it.



On the other hand, I am not a good cook nor do I really have Jim's passion for kitchen tasks. Whenever there's a need for a whisk, I'll just go ahead and take a fork instead. If there's a need to chop in cubes, I'll cut them in different ways. But Jim is the complete opposite. He always makes sure he has all the right ingredients, the right tools and equipment, the right timing and not just making to do with what is available. For him, you need to get it right to make a perfect dish. 

Jim had prepared everything to make 3 sets of lasagna. It always makes him happy whenever he is in the kitchen plus today's lasagna is all the more special since these were his promise to mom and dad.

 When it was time for him to do his online class, I volunteered to continue layering the pasta, meat and roux . In the process, I ran out of roux so I decided to make one myself as I saw him do it before. I put in: butter, milk, cheese and a bit of flour. 

When he was done with his class, he saw the lumps on my newly-made roux. He said, it only takes a minute to wait and eventually ask. Then and there, I realized how and what cooking really is, for him.

I am quoting Chris Erickson's statement for today's takeaway. "Half-baked effort is almost as good as no effort put in at all."



2 comments:

  1. Can totally relate to your cooking style - this had me laughing "Whenever there's a need for a whisk, I'll just go ahead and take a fork instead."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Thank you so much @kirstie. I am happy that I am not alone. :) thank you for taking time to read the blog, I am glad that you have enjoyed it.

      Delete